Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Say Grandpa...

My kids get to spend a lot of time with their grandparents.

Part of the reason behind that is proximity, we live about a mile away, close enough to walk. My mother has an amazing bond with all of her grand kids and has watched all of them at different times, completely loving every minute of it. My father is also very close with all of the kids and it has been so fun to watch him interact with the various ages and stages they have gone through. My dad taught my son to walk (had him in " training" daily for sure) and also bought him his first Harley Davidson--a rocking horse version of course. They are both amazing grandparents.

When I had to return to work 6 weeks after my son Devin was born (YIKES!!) my parents watched him full time and I was ever so thankful for that gift. My mom's energy is endless and my son definitely tested every limit of it. Both of my kids were fussy up until abut 3 months of age when all of a sudden these happy babies appeared out of nowhere like a light had just been turned on. It was rough to say the leas,t and there were MANY MANY days of non-stop crying. Any parent who has gone through this can relate...it is very tough to remain sane during periods of crying like that. My daughter, being the wonderful child that she is, refused to drink a single sip of breast milk from a bottle and boy oh boy, those were sure some fun times. Often I would pick her up after work and she would STILL be screaming, seeming to say, "Where the hell have you been woman??? I am HUNGRY!" Again, my mom took it all in stride and never skipped a beat. I tell you, the woman is a saint.

The relationship between my son and my father was unique from the start. Devin took to him instantly and I always marveled at how easy it was for my dad...easier than when us kids were young. I heard my dad saying things that I didn't remember him saying to us as kids or just laughing off tough times. His response: "They are not mine and at the end of the day they go home." (Sometimes I wish I had benefits like that...) Anyhow, it was my son Devin who came up with a nickname for my father that would stick for some time. When Devin was about a year old the following "conversation" occurred:

Grandma: "Devin, say Grandma..."
Devin: "AAAAAAhhhhh--Maaaaaaaaaa"
Grandma: "Oh yay Devin! Say Grandma again..."
Devin: "AAAAAAAAAAhhhhhh-Maaaaaaaaaa"
*insert much clapping and celebrating as Devin had come up with a name for Grandma..."AhMa" would stick for some time.
Grandma: "Okay Devin, now say Grandpa...
Devin: "Doh Doh"
Grandma: "No Devin...say Grandpa...see there is Grandpa, say GRANDPA"
Devin: "Doh Doh...DOH DOH!"
*Note: by this point my father had entered the room and was joining in the quest to hear his name said...but realizes that his first grandson is now calling him Doh Doh...
Grandpa: "Devin, look at me...say Grrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaannnnnnndddpaaaaa..." (said in a drawn out way in order to hear all the sounds)
Devin: "GRrrrrrrrrr...DOH DOH! DOH DOH! DOH DOH!"
Grandpa: "Grandma--did you tell him to call me Doh Doh? That is not fair...you taught him that! He can't call me Doh Doh..."
Devin: "Doh doh! Doh doh! Doh doh!!!"

Yes, the name was fixed.

My son called my dad Doh Doh for an entire year. This was great fun to the rest of us (who at times thought my dad WAS in fact a doh doh) and always interesting to see the looks on strangers' faces when they heard the name said. We think it was probably a play on "Da Da" but deep down...it was hysterical. My dad ended up not minding the affectionate moniker after a while, or having to explain exactly why his grandson was calling him Doh Doh when he would receive puzzled looks. Eventually Devin settled with "Gwampa" on his own and the name disappeared just like that. I was sad to see it go.

Family is important and the bonds that tie us all together are unique in every way. I am thankful that my kids get the chance to know their grandparents in a way that I never had the chance to with my own grandparents. It wasn't that my parents didn't try to provide opportunities for us to spend time with them. It's just that living in Alaska can be tough on travel and when grandparents live far away a lot of memories are missed out on.

And a lot of fun names.

No comments:

Post a Comment